The annual yearbook of the Church, the Annuario Pontificio, edition 2012, was presented to Pope Benedict XVI this morning. The book lists basically everything there is to be listed about the Church in the preceding year, although the actual statistics are from 2010.
Vatican Radio gives a short summary of the most interesting statistics, although it seems to be getting the number of professed religious wrong. It either rose to some unknown number, or dropped to the 721,935.
In absolute numbers the Church is growing, although locally, especially in Europe, the trend is the opposite. Relatively to the world population, the numbers stayed about the same.
The ten new jurisdictions established by the pope in 2011 are:
- Diocese of Bo, Sierra Leone
- Diocese of Kondoa, Tanzania
- Diocese of Naviraí, Brazil
- Diocese of Sylhet, Bangladesh
- Diocese of Kabwe, Zambia
- Diocese of Gaoua, Burkina Faso
- Diocese of La Ceiba, Honduras
- Chaldean Eparchy of Mar Addai of Toronto, Canada
- Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, United Kingdom
- Military Ordinariate of Bosnia and Herzegovina